Modifying on lease

Viper

Hey everyone, I'm leasing a JL sport S for three years. I have taken it on some mild trails and plan to so some more serious trails this summer. I'm just looking for suggestions for parts that don't require drilling, splicing, etc. Anything bolt on that can be taken off if for some reason I don't buy at the end of the lease, which is the current plan. Thanks20181111_150308.jpegIG-8356.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I’ve been down this road, just not with a Jeep. Don’t put any money in it you don’t have to. Nice floor mats, seat covers, & maybe 33s. 3 years is a LONG time. By then you may want a diesel scrambler & you’ll be looking at this Jeep going “damn I put too much in and now I just gotta give it back to them?”

My second point? Leases are a trap. Put any money you were going to spend on this Jeep for 3 years into a special savings account & when it’s time is up drop a fat down payment on your dream rig. Every day you’ll look at it and know it’s yours and not FCA’s.

Oh, and drive it like ya stole it! As long as she isn’t scratched too bad & there’s no chips in the windshield it ain’t your Jeep!

darrenroos

I did a 3 year lease for a few reasons...
1. My payments are $300/month less so over 3 years that’s $11K I can save for mods. That also gives mfg. companies 3 years to fine-tune their JL mods before I invest in the upgrades.
2. If the 2018 ends up being a lemon I’m not stuck with it.
3. If the 2022 has options that I can’t live without I can easier jump into it since If I purchase one now, in 3 years I will probably still have negative equity in it for a trade-in.
If I end up keeping it after the lease in the long run (which I probably will) financially it will have cost me a little more but with the 1st year of a new model I didn’t want to take on the risk.

As far as the question about the upgrades, if you are going to mod it now just don’t do anything that requires cutting or welding and keep your stock parts to put back on after the lease if you turn it in.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

I wouldn't worry about it to much depending what your ling term plans are. Keep all the stock stuff to put back on or just trade it in at end like a purchase. The jury is still out on JL but I have lots of friends who leased JKs and they were worth more at the buyout that they owed.

I leases my JL for several reasons and I've already swapped the flares and axles are next. I will buy it at the end and it will cost me an extra grand in the long run. Or if not I'll sell it, it won't ever be turned back in.

Sent via....

Viper

I did a 3 year lease for a few reasons...
1. My payments are $300/month less so over 3 years that’s $11K I can save for mods. That also gives mfg. companies 3 years to fine-tune their JL mods before I invest in the upgrades.
2. If the 2018 ends up being a lemon I’m not stuck with it.
3. If the 2022 has options that I can’t live without I can easier jump into it since If I purchase one now, in 3 years I will probably still have negative equity in it for a trade-in.
If I end up keeping it after the lease in the long run (which I probably will) financially it will have cost me a little more but with the 1st year of a new model I didn’t want to take on the risk.

As far as the question about the upgrades, if you are going to mod it now just don’t do anything that requires cutting or welding and keep your stock parts to put back on after the lease if you turn it in.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
This was my logic too. We also got a great deal as I have a friend that's trying to lease a cheaper setup of the JL and put more money down and his monthly payment will be over 100 more per month.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app