JL JOURNAL : NEW EVO JL Wrangler Coilovers / Long Arms & More - Moab EJS 2018

DEFCON1

16 inches of travel? Wow! Loving how sleek this long arm kit looks. Would definitely help when sliding around.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah, lift height and suspension geometry being low isn't the concerning factor in this case as much as the suspension travel. From the excellent footage, I love the angles (low) but what a whopper we have in suspension travel potential. :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if the fine print on that bolt-on coilover kit for the front states that an "aftermarket front driveshaft is required." :yup:

Yes you are right. One thing jeep did change tho with the front shaft was they gave it more room so it didn’t hit the crossmember and exhaust so you wouldn’t tear the boot. As I said before tho time will tell what is needed and at what lift height.

Geronimo

Seriously fine looking setup. And great video coverage. That long arm kit would be a snap to install and the Low Center of Gravity approach is something I would was wanting to alter on my JkUR before it was trashed. Less lift much taller tires with deeper gearing. Gearing is something I haven't been able to find out yet for the JLUR. How well the new Auto transmission will handle 37s, especially in high mountain long steep situations. Great to see such nice equipment coming out. Wish the bead locks you folks did the install vid on were DOT. This lift and coil over with those wheels would be...well ... real sweet. Thanks for another great reveal.

Last edited:

BillArnett

So I'm a little confused. In the write up about the EVO lift kit Eddie says, "Being that we are anticipating making more changes in the future, we also decided to get the 8 heavy duty adjustable control arms that are offered as an option as well." I presume future changes referred to are something like this coil over kit. But it looks like the coil over kit will replace all or most of the parts in the lift kit. Am I missing something?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I'm a little confused. In the write up about the EVO lift kit Eddie says, "Being that we are anticipating making more changes in the future, we also decided to get the 8 heavy duty adjustable control arms that are offered as an option as well." I presume future changes referred to are something like this coil over kit. But it looks like the coil over kit will replace all or most of the parts in the lift kit. Am I missing something?

Nope your not. The coilovers will replace the springs and shocks but the arms will stay the same. They would need to additionally add on the long arms after if they wanted

13_gecko_rubi

It does ok :)

That guy on the far side got some better pics I'm sure he'll share. It worked amazing. (Keep repeating in my head... I'm leaving the JL civil, the JK is my toy...) the JL performs amazing, right out of the box. This makes it even better. 20180328_150454.jpg

Sent via....

JAGS

That guy on the far side got some better pics I'm sure he'll share. It worked amazing. (Keep repeating in my head... I'm leaving the JL civil, the JK is my toy...) the JL performs amazing, right out of the box. This makes it even better. View attachment 1744

Sent via....

Ha ha. Say it enough times to convince yourself yet??? [emoji23]

So much want with Mel’s new kit. 🤤

BillArnett

Nope your not. The coilovers will replace the springs and shocks but the arms will stay the same. They would need to additionally add on the long arms after if they wanted

Do you mean that one could get the basic EVO lift and then add the coil over kit WITHOUT the long arms? That makes sense, I guess. But wouldn’t that setup have considerably less wheel travel?

And does the long arm kit involve changing all 8 control arms or just some of them?

And with the coil over kit how much lift does one get vis a vis stock? I don’t want to go much over 2.5 inches like the basic lift.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you mean that one could get the basic EVO lift and then add the coil over kit WITHOUT the long arms? That makes sense, I guess. But wouldn’t that setup have considerably less wheel travel?

And does the long arm kit involve changing all 8 control arms or just some of them?

And with the coil over kit how much lift does one get vis a vis stock? I don’t want to go much over 2.5 inches like the basic lift.

Long arms don’t really provide extra wheel travel. What they will provide tho is better road and overall handling characteristics over a 8 stock length arms.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Great stuff, very well thought out - I love the usage of factory bolt holes for mounting. The coilover and it's travel is a blast, absolute dream parts. Since the COG is low there should be no major problems with highway stability and cornering.
The front drive shaft thing....I think Mel would have mentioned it but extended brake lines were not talked about, and I do think the factory lines are too short for this amount of downtravel. We'll see

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I’m sure they have extended brake lines. They include drop brackets with the spacer kit.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very well thought out... Love that LCG with all that travel.... Looks Awesome!

The 15.5" of travel is MASSIVE!! :crazyeyes:

Great video again! Love the work you and Cindy are putting into this!!!!!

Thank you, we're so glad that you're enjoying the content we're bringing you :yup:

Awesome! I like the fact that they made it so we can install it relatively easily.

Jeep made a lot of this possible but it is nice that EVO is capitalizing on it :yup:

Very cool. I love how they made the long arm brackets flush like that.

Their high clearance brackets have always been a big selling point for me. On the JL, it's done even better. :yup:

That’s awesome! Big wheel travel for a bolt on kit.

Crazy, ain't it? More than what Moby has with his DTD :crazyeyes:

that's awesome that it uses so many of the factory holes to align the brackets :thumb:

how fast were you going?

I think I got it up to about 60-70 for at least part of it.

Yeah, looks like I’ll need to pick one of my two kids to go to college. [emoji23][emoji23]

Been seeing pics from Mel and EVO on this. The vid is great. Love the new sliders and the lift kit is awesome!!

I honestly wonder how much it be with LAs and COs. And is the LA kit mandatory or could you run the same CO set up with the kit you got?

The 15.5" of vertical travel is HUGE... more than likely, a bit too much for short arms. Maybe EVO will offer shorter coilovers for short arms.

While I do love EVO products, I have to say, I really prefer the look of their JL sliders. Wished they made the "classic" version in JL fitment with the bolt on ability. Suspension is amazing as expected.

Did you mean to say their "JK" sliders?

Looks great but what’s it like on the highway? Doesn’t all the flexiness mean severe body roll when cornering?

Way back in the day, coilovers were something you'd only want to run if you trailered your rig everywhere. EVO was one of the first to change all this. Big suspension travel does NOT mean you'll have a lot of body roll.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Epic coverage Eddie!

Couple of questions... Looks like Mel stayed with factory front drive shaft...? I'm guessing it was due to lack of aftermarket availability this early. With that added suspension travel and High Clearance Long Arm Kit, I imagine something like a J.E. Reel HD 1350 drive shaft would be ideal. Next, I noticed the rear bumper but would like more data if available? Was that the Pro Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier? Did Mel happen to mention any thoughts in making a version that can accommodate the factory backup sensors? Lastly, when can we expect another amazing installation video/write-up (like your previous budget boost one) featuring this bolt-on coilover kit?

One thing I've avoided all these years was really learning how to weld; semi-embarrassed to admit it, but the idea of welding is intimidating to me. However, with the concept that Mel has incorporated with factory bolt-on indexing has encouraged me to give it a go. I mean MIG welding doesn't look that hard to this youtube warrior.... ;)

Once again, Epic coverage!

Thank you Eddie.

You are correct in assuming that the factory shaft was used more for a lack of time to have something made than anything. I know Mel will be running a JE Reel 1350 very soon. Regarding the rear bumper, it was just a facia and something he didn't really want to highlight as it was still being developed and he wasn't really happy with. Ultimately, he would like to have something that does incorporate the sensors. As far as videos go, you know one will be coming sooner than later :crazyeyes:

Great video! Excited for the JL products from Evo. Just take all my money!!! Lol

:cheesy:

Great setup......EVO does some really cool engineering to our rigs!!:yup:

Yes they do :yup:

More well thought out capable modifications! I’m looking forward to seeing videos of Mel running that rig this week!

Did a lot of filming of it out in Moab. May take a bit before it gets posted being that we're a little back logged on videos but it will be sooner than later. :yup:

Wow that long arm is awesome! So much better than the jk long arm!

A lot of improvements have been made for sure :yup:

With the stock axle and FAD, does the front driveshaft even turn in 2wd?

No, it doesn't and this allows you to add a lot more positive caster and without ill effect. :)

This video makes me want a JL on 37s even more! I wonder if they'll be specific valving for 2 doors, and if the high clearance long arm kit will work the same, or if EVO will offer a mild stretch!

If I could guess, probably so. The weight and dimension differences would almost dictate it.

Yeah, lift height and suspension geometry being low isn't the concerning factor in this case as much as the suspension travel. From the excellent footage, I love the angles (low) but what a whopper we have in suspension travel potential. :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if the fine print on that bolt-on coilover kit for the front states that an "aftermarket front driveshaft is required." :yup:

Oh, for sure. The whole time we were testing things out, Mel was very careful not to let the driver side front wheel get maxed out in fear of damaging the front shaft.

Great stuff, very well thought out - I love the usage of factory bolt holes for mounting. The coilover and it's travel is a blast, absolute dream parts. Since the COG is low there should be no major problems with highway stability and cornering.
The front drive shaft thing....I think Mel would have mentioned it but extended brake lines were not talked about, and I do think the factory lines are too short for this amount of downtravel. We'll see

New longer brake lines are needed with the coilover kit and the ABS lines have to be re-routed as well as the e-brake cables.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
16 inches of travel? Wow! Loving how sleek this long arm kit looks. Would definitely help when sliding around.

15.5" but close enough :crazyeyes:

Seriously fine looking setup. And great video coverage. That long arm kit would be a snap to install and the Low Center of Gravity approach is something I would was wanting to alter on my JkUR before it was trashed. Less lift much taller tires with deeper gearing. Gearing is something I haven't been able to find out yet for the JLUR. How well the new Auto transmission will handle 37s, especially in high mountain long steep situations. Great to see such nice equipment coming out. Wish the bead locks you folks did the install vid on were DOT. This lift and coil over with those wheels would be...well ... real sweet. Thanks for another great reveal.

The all new 8-speed automatic is outstanding. With 37's on a JK, you'd really want to be running 5.13 gears to regain lost power. On our JL, I haven't felt any appreciable power loss running the stock 4.10s. I literally feel no need to re-gear at this time and this is after making a 2,000 miles round trip drive to Moab, wheeling a week there and back home again. I should note that this is up and over big mountain passes too.

We were planning on running standard coils and shocks once something we like is available. I should also note that while we were wanting to install coilovers, we were expecting them to be a bit more modest in their travel. Being that the EVO ones offer 15.5"... I don't think we'll be able to run it with our current short arms. With any luck, they'll offer something with less travel OR... we'll have to bite the bullet and swap everything out.

VERY NICE parts from EVO - as usual. My wife already wants new EVO sliders.

They are really nice :yup:

Big fan of all the new products. Bolt on kit looks bad ass, now I just need a JL lol

YES YOU DO :thumb:

That guy on the far side got some better pics I'm sure he'll share. It worked amazing. (Keep repeating in my head... I'm leaving the JL civil, the JK is my toy...) the JL performs amazing, right out of the box. This makes it even better.

Well, much better video but I think most here will like that as much as pics :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In theory, yes but in practical terms, no. 15.5" of actual vertical travel is crazy HUGE and a bit too much for factory length arms. To do it right, you really would need long arms. That being said, if shorter coil overs were offered, say 12" or there about, you could probably run it with factory length arms and really, that's still a TON of travel.

Long arms would require you to change all 8 out.

You can set your ride height with coilovers but if you're really just wanting to run 2.5" of lift, they're probably not for you.

It’s going to be hard to leave it stock, you know!

Ha! Say that again in your head. I’ll believe it when I see it lol

Agreed, I'll believe it when I see it :D

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The all new 8-speed automatic is outstanding. With 37's on a JK, you'd really want to be running 5.13 gears to regain lost power. On our JL, I haven't felt any appreciable power loss running the stock 4.10s. I literally feel no need to re-gear at this time and this is after making a 2,000 miles round trip drive to Moab, wheeling a week there and back home again. I should note that this is up and over big mountain passes too.

I was going to ask you that. I drove the wife’s Grand Cherokee a little more, and I noticed it only went into 7th gear, one time, driving across town, with the highest speed being about 60mph. Disclaimer: It does have the 5.7L

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app