PSA: Wheel weights on spare tire can make rear parking sensors freak out

Pasty

TL;DR: keep your wheel weights as close to the 12 o’clock position as possible when mounting your spare on the carrier.

Setup: ‘18 JLU Sport S, stock rear bumper with parking sensors, aftermarket wheels, 33” tires

Did an oil change/tire rotation today and as soon as I started it up and put it in reverse, I was greeted with the shrill tone of the proximity chime. Hopped out and quickly wiped off each sensor but the issue persisted. Did a bit of research online and read that another owner had a similar issue and found that the wheel weights on his spare were sitting at the 6 o’clock position on his tire carrier, causing the issue. Seemed a little crazy but I decided to give it a shot.

I ran outside and popped the spare off the carrier. Sure enough, the weights were at 6 o’clock. Rotated 180 degrees, bolted it back on, and I’ll be damned - problem solved.

Never would have thought that to be the case, so I’m merely passing this tip along in case it helps save anyone an unnecessary trip to the dealer.