JL JOURNAL : EVO Tire Carrier Installation

CalSgt

Greasing the hinge

Has anyone had to re-grease the hinge pin in the carrier after install?

Mine is starting to make a horrible squeak, not sure if I should try WD-40 or disassemble the tailgate & use some moly grease. Maybe there's an easier way to get grease in there without disassembly...

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Has anyone had to re-grease the hinge pin in the carrier after install?

Mine is starting to make a horrible squeak, not sure if I should try WD-40 or disassemble the tailgate & use some moly grease. Maybe there's an easier way to get grease in there without disassembly...

Is you hinge pin an actual bushing? I have one of the first for the JK which is the same design and mine is just a plastic insert bushing. It is arguably one of the most annoying sounds on earth.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

CalSgt

Is you hinge pin an actual bushing? I have one of the first for the JK which is the same design and mine is just a plastic insert bushing. It is arguably one of the most annoying sounds on earth.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

It's plastic bushings pressed into the carrier with a steel sleeve pressed into them, and yes... it is the most annoying sound ever. People stop what they're doing and stare when I open my tailgate in a crowded parking lot.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 1.31.40 PM.jpg

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
It's plastic bushings pressed into the carrier with a steel sleeve pressed into them, and yes... it is the most annoying sound ever. People stop what they're doing and stare when I open my tailgate in a crowded parking lot.

View attachment 15129

Yeah that’s right. It is a steel bushing inside. I literally just had my carrier off I should have seen if one of the CJ lead spring bushings would have fit. Could have drilled a hole and greased it that way. Maybe next time I have it off.

I have used white grease before and it works for a day or two. Leaves a nasty mess but it was quiet.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

I ended up using some 3in1 garage door spray lube because I couldn't find the WD40... Seemed to quiet it down we'll see how much dirt it attracts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, mine is pretty noisy now too when opening and closing the tailgate. Been thinking about looking for bronze bushings to replace what's there now as that would do the trick.

Saddletramp

LOL, I've had neighbors literally come out of their house wondering what the hell that noise is when I open the rear gate.

WiscoHR

I don’t have any squeaking or noises when opening tailgate. It is slightly harder to open. But I do need to pull it off the Jeep once the weather breaks because it is rusting like a bitch here in Wisconsin. I have rust streaks running down the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

I don’t have any squeaking or noises when opening tailgate. It is slightly harder to open. But I do need to pull it off the Jeep once the weather breaks because it is rusting like a bitch here in Wisconsin. I have rust streaks running down the tailgate.

What?! This soon I think its a bit too early to begin to rust there...not even my 28 year old YJ has rust on its tailgate and people love deploying salt during cold weather

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Rampart22

Ive been saving and was just about to order the rear tire carrier from EVO. After this thread now I’m considering waiting. Is there really allot of issues. Squeaks and rust and harder time open? That doesn’t sound like a solution....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been saving and was just about to order the rear tire carrier from EVO. After this thread now I’m considering waiting. Is there really allot of issues. Squeaks and rust and harder time open? That doesn’t sound like a solution....

Maybe not a perfect solution but it does solve the question of how to safely and securely carry a large spare tire. Overall, I'm still happy with mine - just keeping it real.