CB Radio Installation

RMC2

How about some info on how those dash trim pieces come off for the install?

I haven’t tried anything yet.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
How about some info on how those dash trim pieces come off for the install?

The AC head unit and trim snaps out as one piece. Starting from the right of the unit/trim (at the seam that can be seen between the microphone and the grab handle bolt) use a plastic trim tool behind the edge of the AC head trim and pull straight out rather than prying so as not to bend the plastic. Once the right side pops out, work your way around to unsnap the rest of the clips. The start / stop button also is attached to the AC trim. In fact, it has to come off in order to remove the radio trim that is bolted/screwed behind the AC head.

Last edited:

RMC2

The AC head unit and trim snaps out as one piece. Starting from the right of the unit/trim (at the seam that can be seen between the microphone and the grab handle bolt) use a plastic trim tool behind the edge of the AC head trim and pull straight out rather than prying so as not to bend the plastic. Once the right side pops out, work your way around to unsnap the rest of the clips. The start / stop button also is attached to the AC trim. In fact, it has to come off in order to remove the radio trim that is bolted/screwed behind the AC head.

Thanks. .

mnrafter

This ^^^^

Here's a pic of my antenna mounted on the mopar reinforcement...

Whichever mount you choose, the JL tailgate has virtually no ground to the body or frame. You will need a ground strap. Here's what I did...

Also, if you get the mopar tailgate reinforcement, you will need an extented stud bolt to fit the thicker mounting tab. I was only able to find one on walcottradio. View attachment 2599View attachment 2600View attachment 2601

Maybe a novice question, but why do you not think the tailgate reinforcement is not grounded?

Bsimon187

Came up with a solution today to mount a smaller cb. I had some old brackets around the garage and came up with this. IMG_1004.JPGIMG_1002.JPG

Behind that little circle that comes out is a small 10mm bolt. You can use an L bracket to slide between the plastic piece and center console. Put the screw back in and then can attach the cb using the side mounts. Mine is super solid using with a uniden 520xl.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some pictures of the mount from Cool Tech installed on the Jeep JLU.

Ummm, you do know that your Mopar tailgate reinforcement hinges comes with an antenna mount, right? I mean, you can see it right next to the one you bought and installed.

Pyrates

Ummm, you do know that your Mopar tailgate reinforcement hinges comes with an antenna mount, right? I mean, you can see it right next to the one you bought and installed.
Yes, however have you tried to find an antenna that will fit besides maybe a FireStik? Besides, I may end up using that for a ham radio antenna mount or maybe a flag pole mount.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, however have you tried to find an antenna that will fit besides maybe a FireStik? Besides, I may end up using that for a ham radio antenna mount or maybe a flag pole mount.

I dunno, JeepFan was able to find something that worked. Also, I don't think it'd be a good idea to run 2 antennas so close together like that. Either way, it's no sweat off my back what you do with your Jeep. Just seemed odd to me and so I pointed it out.